Commercial and Contract Managment
Short Professional Course
20 GLH – 15 Hrs Contact plus 5 hrs self study.
Professional Intermediate Level
Start: 19th June 2023
Finish: 23rd June 2023
Contract Management is an innate part of successfully and effective commercial management. It is mission critical therefore that organisations and business professional understand modern contract management as a central pillar to achieving both wider organisational and business as well as focused commercial, strategies, objectives ad success.
Suitable for those participants who wish to gain new, or refresh and upgrade existing, knowledge, skills, and competencies, this short, professional, and intensive Contract Management course focuses on providing participants with a broad and holistic overview of key knowledge and topic areas to help organisations and businesses author, drive, and deliver best practice and leading-edge digital and commercial and contract management strategies, frameworks, services, and operations.
Designed as an professional introduction (Level 4) level course, participants will learn about and explore a range of topics, such as: how to author understanding the modern commercial ecosystem and collaborative and partnership approach; contract types; contract life cycle management, processes and operations; key contract law (UK and international) concepts, best practice contract management practices; contract negotiations; and contract risk management.
There is a focus on the practical and pragmatic authoring, delivery, and management of professional, high- performance organisational, and business contract management operations, and frameworks, The course learning philosophy is that of international peers sharing knowledge, expertise, and experience; balancing knowledge with competencies and skills; and taking a proactive and task-based learning, such as discussions,
teamwork, and presentations and projects (depending upon duration). Participants are encouraged to bring with them real world business issues, challenges and problems which might inform the course; and where possible, course content is tailored to participants’ priorities and requirements.
Module 1 – Introduction to Contract Management
- Principles of contract law ++
- The nines stage of the contract management lifecycle
- Forming and creating robust procurement contracts
- Standard terms and conditions for goods and/or services
- Special terms and conditions and essential clauses
Module 2 – Key concepts in contracts and associated legal considerations. ++
- The scope and features of good contract management
- Specification writing
- Exiting, changing and migrating contracts
- Managing contract extensions and any allowable price increases
- Establishing a change control regim
Module 3 – The Principles and Process of Contract Negotiation
- The main models and processes of negotiation
- Negotiating in a purchaser/supplier relationship
- Plan and manage a negotiation with a supplier
- Identify and negotiate key contract variables
- Reaching a win-win agreement
Module 4 – Contract Risk Assessment and Management Techniques
- Understanding the various risks that affect all contracts
- Contract risk analysis
- Develop robust contracts with a focus on mitigating risk
- Managing risk through the contract
- Managing an exit strategy and risk mitigation in event of contractor
Module 5 – Managing Relationships and Performance
- The importance of collaboration
- Key stakeholder management
- Setting agreed service levels
- Improving contract performance
- Managing contract closeout
- Module 6 – Review, Assessments, Close Out.
- Understand the modern, contract management.
- Demonstrate best practice contract management.
- Be able to author, lead and manage high value, high-impact contract management strategies, operations, and frameworks.
- Be able to author, lead and manage best practice contract management governance and risk cultures and frameworks.
- Understand UK and international contract law.
- Be able to negotiate win-win contracts.
Your Course At A Glance
A Short Intensive and
Short Professional Course
With Online Support
5 Days to 4 Weeks
1, 2 or 3 Day Masterclass
Coaching and Tutorials
Organisations and individuals can elect to complete all three stages, or individual stages, on a full time, part time or extended basis.
Stage One is focused on a series of best international best practice professional, transferable and soft skills topics, across areas such as interpersonal skills, communications, teamwork, problem-solving, critical thinking, decision-making, time and stress management and negotiation and conflict management.
Stage Two is focused on a building an intermediate level toolkit centred around a series of leadership and management options, of which participants are encouraged to take three from a list of six. These include leadership, management, project management, coaching and mentoring, people and talent and operations management.
Stage Three is focuses on both advanced level and / or specialist professional areas, with participants encouraged to take two from a list of five. Topics include strategic and operational resilience, financial management for non-financial specialists, leading and managing high performance cultures and organisational excellence and commercial management.
Who Is This Course For?
What Are The Course Objectives?
The first is to allow professionals to design a personalised professional development programme which allows them to enhance their professional competencies, skills, allow them to make an enhanced contribution to organisational and professional operations, and enhance and enrich their professional lives, employability and perhaps promotion prospects.
Secondly, to develop best practice, leading edge competencies, knowledge, skills and attributes which will allow them to lead, drive and contribute to enhance organisational and operational performance, productivity, competitive advantage and rounded organisational excellence.
Thirdly, to allow professionals to develop higher and advanced level specialist professional competencies, knowledge, skills and attributes.
What Will I Learn?
- Have a developed a broad portfolio of professional, transferable competencies, skills, knowledge and attributes.
- Be able to apply and demonstrate your new and refreshed competencies, skills, knowledge and attributes to successfully lead, drive and contribute towards enhanced and empowered a organisational and individual performance, productivity, high-performance cultures and rounded organisational excellence.
- Developed transferable, specialist and advanced / higher level professional competencies, skills, knowledge and attributes.
- Enhanced your
- Professional competencies, skills, knowledge and attributes.
- Promotion prospects.
- Employability prospects.
- Interpersonal skills
- Business communications
- Critical thinking
- Time and stress management
- Negotiation skills and conflict management.
- Leadership and Management
- Business Administraton and Management
- Project management
- Coaching and mentoring
- People and talent
- operations management.
- Strategic and operational resilience
- Financial management for non-financial specialists
- Leading and managing high performance cultures and organisational excellence
- Commercial management.
What Will I Walk Away With?
You will walk away with:
- The specialist leading-edge knowledge, skills, competencies and confidence to be able to author, build, develop, drive and lead high-performance, high-impact strategic, tactical and operational organisational and business resilience, crisis and risk management agendas and initiatives in response to local, national and global volatility, disruption and threats.
- The ability to make a real, high-performance impact on your organisation and business
- Specialist and transferable professional skills
- Enhanced career and promotion prospects
- Continuous professional development credits
- A personalised leadership action plan, which in conjunction with the course, critical personal reflection and ongoing professional development will allow you to further develop and put into practice what you have learnt.
- Access to our leadership library of resources
- Either a professional award, a professional certificate or an advanced professional certificate.
Pre Course Activities
We strongly recommend that in preparation for this course, participants take the time to complete the pre-course work; both so that they reap the fullest rewards and benefits of the courses, and so that it can be tailored and personalised where possible to their individual requirements.
- Think about what your learning priorities and objectives are
- Think about a possible organisational, operational or personal role topic, issue, challenge or objective you have a special interest in for discussion in coaching, supervision / tutorials
- Think about what real-world organisational, operational or professional role strategic, transformational and resilience objectives you have
- Think about what real-world organisational and business disruption, issues and challenges you face
- Think about how you can use the current climate as a catalyst for change.
What is Included In The Investment Fee?
- Face to face contact learning via webinar, online and collaborative technology
- A minimum number of whole class contact hours per days / week / month – subject to programme and course duration selected
- Micro group sessions – depending upon participant numbers and webinar / programme / course duration
- Individual / pair / micro group supervisions / coaching / personal and operational consulting and action planning – depending upon participant numbers and webinar / programme / course duration
- Core course materials – send by email and online
- Supplementary materials – send by email and online
- Complimentary materials – materials – send by email and online
- Access to documents and resources library for the webinar / programme / course duration
Availability and Dates
At the moment due to the global pandemic, this course is only available publicly as a webinar.
This programme is next due to run as a webinar series on:
21st June 2021
12th July 2021 | 26th July 2021
9th August 2021 | 23rd August 2021
All webinars require a minimum of three participants to be confirmed as running.
David C.W.A. Carruthers
Stephen Felder – Shaw
A Trainer's View
ʺ This is an exceptional, added value, flexible programme, which offers professionals at all stages of their career and organisations the opportunity to design a bespoke, tailored and personalised professional development programme. From best practice ‘essential’ transferable and soft professional skills, to specialist areas such as strategic and operational resilience, this programme helps leaders, managers and professionals develop an exceptional depth and breadth of competencies, skills, knowledge and attributes required to lead, drive and contribute towards organisational and business excellence; and sets the standard by which organisations and business should aspire to for their leaders, managers and graduate fast-track candidates as part of their people and talent agendas.ʺ
Course Fees' Payment
All course fees must be paid 48 hours prior to commencement of the webinar / courses.
COURSE REGISTRATION AND CONTACT
Register Now To Reserve Your Seat On The IPD Programme
Call Us Or Email Us
To Discuss Your Personalised Requirements
Why not contact or speak to one of our specialist learning and development advisors? That way we discuss your personalised and tailored requirements and perhaps offer alternative choices and options.
You can email us at
or call us on
+44 (0) 758 383 7246